Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Random Wednesday Thoughts

- as the sun comes out of the clouds here on the Gulf Coast, my heart goes out to all those affected by the storms yesterday. The last I read 48 people lost their lives, homes, businesses, and the campus of Union University destroyed. Praying...

- Lent began today with Ash Wednesday. I can still remember when I first encountered Lent many years ago. I was still with Procter and Gamble and I had journeyed to Birmingham Alabama to help set up a new Brunos Food's store. At lunch that day a coworker left and when he returned, I looked up at him. By mistake, I told him he had something like a smudge on his face. Duh.

Our family has observed Lent quietly for many years as a way to focus on the incredible work of Jesus Christ on the cross. This year here at New Hope, I will be leading in some special worship each Sunday night during the period. Though we are not calling it Lenten worship, it will be themed that way. BTW, I am giving up my beloved hot dogs for Lent. Hope I don't go to Macon anytime soon. To be that close to NuWay hot dogs and not be able to eat them?

- Continuing our look at Romans tonight in the last part of chapter 2 and the first part of chapter 3. Lot of parallels between the attitudes of the Jews Paul is writing about and to, and we Southern Baptists. I don't have to find applications in this text, I just need to get out of the way!

- Working on a letter to our association explaining our decision to reduce our commitment to them and increase our commitments to other missions. Sadly, this is necessary and right.

Shalom

Davud

No comments:

Post a Comment