Thursday, February 14, 2008

Funeral Message for Viola Phelps

Just a note - I'm posting this here for two reasons. First so that the family can read what I said that day, and second so I could give an example of what I'd do with a limited amount of time and an incomplete knowledge of the person whose funeral you are asked to participate in. I only knew Viola for a short period of time, so what I shared came from what I gleaned from others and from our one substantive interaction.

Her former pastor had the lead role in this, so my remarks were brief and his were more personal and more targeted to inviting others to accept Christ. My theme was "with". My hope was to weave their understanding of what it meant to be with Viola and what God says about who will be with Him.


With

I’ve really enjoyed meeting all the family this week. Putting faces to the names I’ve heard Evelyn and Viola say has been neat. Watching you all relate when you were together last night - it was clear you were a family. That you were pretty comfortable WITH each other.

You know that’s becoming increasingly difficult to find today. We rush around getting stuff done at such a pace that it is tough for us, unless something like today makes us stop – it’s just tough for us to make time to be WITH each other.

And yet that little word WITH – really matters.

Think about it with me for a moment. We are here today because while Viola was WITH us, she added something very special to our lives. An ear to listen, a shoulder to cry on, some to multiply laughter and halve our sorrows. She had a heart to encourage us, and a hope and a faith to share with us.

WITH US

You know that God thinks a lot of that word WITH as well. In Deuteronomy 31:8 and again in Hebrews 13:5 God tells us “The Lord Himself goes before you, He will be WITH YOU, He will not leave you, He will not forsake you.

Several times in Isaiah (41:10; 43:2) God reminds His people, “Do not fear because I am WITH YOU, for I am your God.”

The believer in Jesus Christ is NEVER alone, even on days like today. “For though I may walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for thou art with me…” Psalm 23

One of the things I miss the most now that my kids are grown sounds silly I guess. But I miss reaching down and holding their little hands as they learned to walk. We need that when we are kids. But you know we need that later on too. Someone to be WITH US, and connected closely. The Bible says in Psalm 73 “You hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel leading me to a glorious destiny. Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. NOW LISTEN TO THIS

“My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart;

He is MINE FOREVER.” Psalm 73:23b - 26

A few months ago Evelyn called me and wanted me to go to the CUU and visit Viola. So I did and found her very alert and wanting to talk. So I stood there for a few minutes and listened to her tell about her love for the people she shared her life with. And then I got to hear about her love for, and life WITH Jesus. It was funny. I walked in expecting to try to lift her spirits and walked out having mine lifted by being WITH her.

Friends, just as Enoch walked with God and was no more, for God took him. Just as David served God’s purpose for His generation and died, Viola lived her life WITH you and WITH Jesus and now, she is WITH HIM.

Do you know Him today? There is no better companion on life’s journey. It’s a hard world we live in. Struggles and trials on every hand. We’re often betrayed by our own tendency to do wrong. Why not meet WITH Jesus today. Tell Him what you’ve done that’s pushed Him away. Ask for His forgiveness. Receive new life in Him.

He said this “I am leaving you with a gift – peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.”
Viola knew that peace because Jesus was WITH her. And now she is WITH HIM.

Will you be? Do you know Jesus as Savior? Have you surrendered to Him as Lord? Days like today put the brevity of this life into clear focus. Chose to leave today with Christ.

2 comments:

  1. That was very good! Terrific lead in to a appropriate conversation about salvation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good funeral sermon. With your permission, I might use it sometime.

    ReplyDelete