Monday, January 21, 2008

Worship @ New Hope 20 Jan 2008

We continued in the "Red Letters" series with a sermon entitled "What You Need To Know" from Matthew 4. More about that later. Main focus from the text was "repent for the Kingdom of God is near" and "Follow me."

Opening song:

Amazing Grace,(My Chains Are Gone) - great treatment of THE classic hymn

Forever

The Potters Hand

Ancient Words

Give Me Jesus (solo by Emily)

Just As I Am

I was trying to craft a set that reflected our need for God's grace and our call to follow Jesus as he said in His Word.

The message: I have been really working hard on examining my work as a preacher in recent weeks, and have read the Andy Stanley book "Communicating for A Change" twice. In it, Stanley strongly suggests that you go with one point and only put into the sermon other materials that directly support that point.

So I decreased the amount of text I put up, and went with visual images to support the message. Then I went a step further and sat on a stool to deliver it. My thoughts were that if I was stationary then I would not be able to rely on gestures and body language and would have to concentrate on the thoughts and concepts I had at hand.

Then I tried to hang that within the frame provided by Stanley.

Me - We - God - You - We

It seemed to help me focus, stay on point, and shorten the amount of words but deliver clearly what God had led me to say. I'll keep working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment