Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"...but I also want..."

10 One of the things I always pray for is the opportunity, God willing, to come at last to see you. 11 For I long to visit you so I can bring you some spiritual gift that will help you grow strong in the Lord. 12 When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours. Romans 1 NLT 2.0


I'm teaching the beginning verses of Romans tonight, and I come to verse 12, and I realize that what Paul was hoping for - what he wanted to have happen - had for me. As I looked around the room, I saw many people there (and thought of others who were serving as well, or absent tonight) who by the way they have lived out their faith during the time I've been the pastor at New Hope - have encouraged me.

There's the person who was on the search committee that brought me here, whose faithfulness to the vision of reaching out and loving people just as they are always energizes me. And her husband who may be the person who lives in the state of thanksgiving more than anyone I have ever known.

Or the one whose gentleness is evident to all who know him, and whose quiet and authentic faith is worthy of anyone's emulation. His wife who bears her physical affliction with grace.

The guy who continually checks on Bunny and me, prays for us, and who comes up with new ways to reach out while supporting anything I come up with that will reach people. Or his wife, who is as humble a person as I have ever known.

There's the young man and his wife who both exemplify what it means to live out your faith in every area and trust God no matter what.

And the man who has given his adult life to working to produce godly boys out of hooligans - and his wife who sometimes tries to do too much by herself.

There are more I could cite, but you get the point.

Somewhere I read today that after a certain number of years a church begins to take on the personality of its pastor.

I wonder if the opposite isn't equally true.

It certainly seems as if Paul hoped to see that happen.

I know I do.

I thank God that He placed me with people who I could help grow in Christ even as they helped me do the same.

1 comment:

  1. David,

    Thanks for sharing your heart for your people. I feel the same way about the church where God has called me. They are wonderful, beautiful followers of Christ, who love and care for one another and their Pastor.

    Les

    ReplyDelete