Friday, January 04, 2008

Will They Grow

My bride got hooked on reading blogs after I turned her onto Google Reader. That little tool makes it easy to find and read blogs on various subjects you are interested in. Not a great deal of our tagged blogs coincide except in the theology area, but even there we diverge to a certain extent.

For example, she reads a blog called "the naked pastor" where a pastor talks frequently about his life, his beliefs, and mostly about his struggles with both. I used to read it, but found myself wondering increasingly whether the guy ought to be a pastor at all. Everyone has areas of weakness, but that guy had acres and acres of them and never seemed to get better.

One of my most fervent prayers for the people God has given me to care for is that some of them would see themselves grow in their faith. I work to spend the time in God's Word, in prayer, and in communion with Him to grow in my faith. Some of that growth comes as a result of failing at times to live up to the example of Jesus. When that happens, I go to Him and ask forgiveness, and for strength and wisdom to overcome. When Paul wrote, "follow my example, as I follow Christ", I figure he meant just that. A pastor has to keep growing - stay hungry - want to do more for God - more with the gift of life God has given him, right up to the moment that God takes him home.

One of the saddest realizations comes for me when I find that a person I love and am praying for to receive more of God's peace, more of His mercy, more of His grace - has decided - "I'm good. I like who I am now. No need to do anything more. No reason to want to grow more."

I can remember back when my boys were little, they'd stomp around the house wearing daddy's shoes. It was comical to see my size twelves on them. But folks, they grew into them. I want so much to see both of them, as well as those I love and care for at New Hope to grow with me as we follow Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment