Thursday, October 23, 2008

Too Big To Wrap Your Brain Around

I've spent a few hours over the last couple of weeks reading and thinking about the Trinity. Beginning with the Scriptures, I've traced the concept through to the end of the Bible. Then I picked it up in the history of the early church and finally read the creeds and commentaries down through the ages to the present day.

As I write this, I am fully prepared to inform people about the Trinity from Scripture, and I can educate them as to what the relationship between God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit means for us.

But I can't explain it. I can't give the "why's" their due, or even go very far down the "how" road. All I can do is describe what I see in Scripture and what others have seen.

And that my friends is fine with me.

One thing that dawned on me was that a God Who could speak the universe into existence was certainly capable of dealing in ways too complex for my brain to comprehend.

Billy Graham was quoted as saying:

"When I first began to study the Bible many years ago, the doctrine of the Trinity was one of the most complex problems I had to encounter. I have never fully resolved it, for it contains an aspect of mystery. Though I do not totally understand it to this day, I accept it as a revelation of God."

I feel better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment