Monday, October 27, 2008

I Voted

I voted today. It's at times like that I remember just how special this grand experiment in democracy really is. People of all ages, all races, civilian and military alike lined up and worked through the process to make their voice heard in our political process. No one pressured anyone. There wasn't a hint of scandal. The poll workers were efficient and friendly. The room broke into applause when a first time voter signed in. It was grand. It was glorious.

It was America.

Yes, I know it is fashionable to push away from any hint of pride in the place of one's birth. And for some that is couched in Christian piety. The feeling I get is that we aren't supposed to care about what happens in elections because our allegiance ultimately is to God. Funny, Jesus had no problem figuring out the duties of a citizen. All that "render unto Caesar..." stuff didn't seem that complicated.

So sorry. I love America. Days like today thrill me.

For me, it is an immeasurable blessing that God placed us here at this time in history among these people. I live and work alongside those who have placed their lives on the line again and again so that my family might stroll up to the voting booth and drive away with a smile. Some who lived here have given that "last full measure of devotion."

I may disagree with the way you vote (or have voted if you are an early bird too), but I hope we can agree that though flawed, God has shed His grace on our America.

Pray that God's will is done.

Pray that we're willing to do it as much as it is up to us.

May God Bless America again.

No comments:

Post a Comment