Thursday, October 23, 2008

Questions


So I'm cleaning up my office. I pause there for the NewHopeians who read this to recover from the shock. And no, that doesn't just mean I'm moving the books around.

And I find a book, or rather "The Book of Questions."

The stated goal is "an enjoyable way to find out more about yourself and others and to confront ethical dilemmas in a concrete rather than in an abstract form."

There are 200 questions in the book.

Questions like:

#22 "If you could use a voodoo doll to hurt anyone you chose, would you?"

#26 "If you could end hunger in the world but to accomplish that you would have to murder one innocent person, would it be worth it?"

#136 "If you knew the child you were carrying would be born severely retarded and would most likely die before the age of five, would you abort it?"

This is obviously not a party game sort of book.

But you know what? Neither is the Bible.

And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul? Mark 8:36-37

When I thought about that verse today, it was as if God led me to consider what my actions are in light of Who He is and what He values.

Life.

I can vote my pocketbook, or I can vote God's heart.

So here's a question. Call it number 201, but for me it is number 1.

If you believed a candidate would be better for your pocketbook, but his election would cost the lives of additional thousands, even millions of babies, how would you vote?

No comments:

Post a Comment