Monday, June 08, 2009

Do Hard Things

Just finished reading Alex and Brett Harris' book "Do Hard Things - A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations", and I am seriously impressed with this book and its authors.

The premise is that generations since WW2 have created a period in the life of people that didn't exists before "teenager", and that as a result have created an artificial rest state when it should be advanced training for life. The authors woke up to this while still teenagers themselves and decided to start a "Rebelution".

As a pastor, I am so heartened by this book's call to the young men and women in our churches to step up and step out for God. Seeing teens waste those years and wander away from God has always brought heartache for me. As a father, I wish I could have put this book and that mindset into the DNA of our family when our boys were in that stage of their lives.

I strongly recommend this book for anyone who works with teenagers, or who parents them. It is actually written for the teens themselves, by teens, so maybe you could buy a copy for your teens and read along with them, getting together to discuss what the book's impact on you is from each of your perspective.

Now I need to go and write a "Rebelution" book for Boomers like me. :)

DO SOMETHING!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to check this out - it sounds great!

    Also - if it weren't for the commute (New England to Florida is a bit much!) I'd love to visit your church. I'm so impressed not only w/ what you are DOING - but also w/ the "WHY" you are doing it.

    ReplyDelete