Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Exactly


"Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of." Geri Weitzman

It just wasn't working for me, and for a lot of people. Church was something you did because you were expected to. Nothing ever changed that much as a result of participation in it. Not in the world, not in the community, and not really in you.

Over the years I'd ask people where the real spiritual leaps in their faith occurred. Or said another way, "when have you really felt God's presence?"

I would go for years without hearing anyone say "at church."

And I so wanted them to.

You see I do believe that the church is the best hope for the world. That through God's people - battered and bruised by sin but given new hearts and new lives though Christ's sacrifice - things could change.

The lost - the missing - the invisible among us... Could be found.

The widows - the orphans - the poor... Could be fed, could be cared for.

The community - our neighbors - our coworkers... Could be simply... loved.

Regardless of color, regardless of age, regardless of income, regardless.

And the people who gather each week to share a worship experience together, would then leave and continue to worship God with all their hearts,with all their minds, with all their souls - everywhere.

I've wanted a place for those outside, where I wouldn't have to apologize for what we do, but where we could share how great God's love is and how amazing His grace is.

Are we all the way there?

No. We still have miles to go before we sleep.

But I can feel it coming true - this dream I have.

I can feel it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi David, I enjoy your blog. I read this story recently and thought it might be encouraging to you: http://www.alanknox.net/2009/01/stories-trash-people.html

    Keep up the great work,

    ross

    ReplyDelete