Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Preach It, Sister

“Every Sunday I preach to at least three people who are dying of something. My general rule of thumb is this: any sermon I preach has to be worth the time they are giving to it.” Barbara Brown Taylor

There's not one activity over the course of my lifetime that I have worked harder at than preaching. I'm constantly evaluating what I'm doing, how I'm doing at it, and looking for ways to be better at it.

Why? It's just a few minutes of people's time, and most will forget what I said by Monday. (At least that's what people say.)

Because Jesus came... preaching.
Because Peter stood in the very seat of power and preached that they were powerless.
Because Paul fearlessly declared Jesus' name no matter the cost.

Because whatever form used, the words of God, delivered passionately as one dying man to others... matter.

Whatever you need to do to make sure you are at the top of your ability to communicate the life changing gospel of Jesus Christ - DO IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment