Thursday, March 06, 2008

How Much Should We Expect?

If you've been reading the last few weeks you're probably aware that I have been seriously questioning the current discipleship model that we and most every other church is using. I've been investigating what has been and is being used in every nook and cranny of the internet as well as on my shelves.

Day before yesterday, I was thinking and praying about our youth and it suddenly occurred to me that I could not confidently call on any of them to give a sincere, coherent, and unforced testimony of what God had done in their life.

So last night with the permission of the husband and wife leading the current youth study, I stepped into the room and basically told the youth that they needed to step out and step up.

Told them it was time they ramped it up and became part of the Body. That every Christian should be able to give a testimony of what they were, what Jesus did, and what He's doing in their life to make them more like Him. That I wanted to see them lead this church out and into service and not just sit back and let everyone else do the work.

Last thing I did was issue a challenge for them to tell their story on Sunday morning to the whole church. That I would make time available anytime one of them wanted to tell the rest of us what Jesus was doing in their life.

Then I was out with a quick look at the leaders and a "let me know who's willing to do what a Christian does."

Craziness. Totally unplanned. Not from me. So we'll see what the HS is up to.

But dear readers, shouldn't we expect every follower of Christ to be able to tell their story of what Christ has done and is doing in their life? I feel as though we've lowered the standards to met the population at large and walked away from what a disciple really is.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment