Friday, October 29, 2010

Sunday Recap 10/24/10



Sunday's sermon was the result of prayers I have been praying for New Hope over the last few months. The idea that we have stopped praying for God to be glorified through us by doing things that only He could have done will not go away. New Hope is filled with people I love - have loved for years - but I have come to believe we are limiting what God wants to do through us due to a lack of faith.

Our study of Hebrews on Wednesday night, my reading recently of "Sun Stand Still" by Steven Furtick, and hours of prayer and study combined to produce this sermon. I pray God used it and will use it. Looking at Joshua's incredible "Sun Stand Still" prayer, I hoped that the hearers examined whether they had the faith to ask God for the impossible.

Sermon audio here as well as on the NewHopeValp.Org website

The music we used last week was:

Here I Am To Worship
Our God Saves
Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)
Jesus Paid It All

I stopped the worship after the first song and asked if anyone had a testimony of what God had done or was doing in their life. A senior saint named Evelyn Brown said that she was so grateful for Jesus saving here that she couldn't sing "I'll never know how much it cost, to see my sins upon that cross" in "Here I Am To Worship" because she was overwhelmed by how her sins cost Christ His life.

Another person gave God praise for His protection during a recent trip to WV and back. Still another praised God for leading her to find her mother who she had not seen in 51 years and had given up ever finding. Testimonies. God is at work at New Hope whether we realize it or not.

Later, our "Forgotten God" small group met here at the house and we discussed just how much we DIDN'T know about the work of the Holy Spirit and how essential it was for us to connect with Him in worship and listen for His guidance in every area of our lives. It was a great session and I can't wait to get back together with them this week.

We'll continue our look at what it takes to have "Sun Stand Still" faith this Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment