Thursday, April 30, 2009

Lord Have Mercy On Me, A Sinner






- "He Walks Among Us"











Saw that an inmate in Nebraska was refused a name change this week. The man, a proud pagan worshipper of the Norse god Thor, wanted his first name changed to "Sinner", because he wanted to let everyone know that he wasn't following Jesus, but was in active opposition.

Well, I'm not seeking a name change, and I know that Jesus has purchased my pardon with His own blood on that cruel cross, but there are times when my old nature just jumps up and bites me on the leg. Every happen to you?

Walk through this scenario with me.

We receive a call that someone is in need. Our church is constantly looking to follow Jesus who "went about doing good" and so we operate a "pass through" process called benevolence where God gives us money and we pass it along to people in need. It has grown to encompass all sorts of ministry here, but the most common is still food and occasionally gasoline.

Today a routine opportunity occurred. A member of New Hope, on the mission field (our words for everyday life), found out someone had that kind of need and passed it along to one of our deacons. He called me, and we determined that he would get to the church before I would, so the process was put into motion to provide whatever food needed and a full tank of gas.

A little while later when I arrived at church, the deacon's truck was outside our fellowship hall, and sitting beside it running was a Mercedes with a little girl in the back seat. "I wonder if that's the person's car who needed help?" was my question. Then I thought (to myself), "You know I have never owned a Mercedes." Then I went inside and saw a person who was maybe 30 years old,with a basketball player's physique, accepting two bags of groceries.

I had already had problems with my judgmental spirit when I saw the Mercedes, but now the sparks caught fire. Inside, I was making decisions about what was going on without one shred of evidence. And the Holy Spirit very clearly told me "SHUT UP. take another look around."

Upon further review, the Mercedes was an older model worth maybe $3000. The young man was on disability,living in an apartment converted from an old hotel that I've been in and wouldn't want to live in. The young man only took two of the three bags offered,saying "I don't have anywhere to put them, but thank you so much." And when I looked back out at the car, the little girl looked straight at me and smiled.

God likes to rub it in.

This was my sin.

It's forgiven. But it hurt my heart.

1 comment: