Monday, August 18, 2008

Wild Goose Chase by Mark Batterson

Click here to go to Amazon to purchase a copy.

There are very few books I can say that I will always have around somewhere in my library or where I know I can find it. Few books rise to that level for me. There are a lot of books that are helpful, some that are inspiring, and occasionally one comes across that is all three. Wild Goose Chase is all that.

Batterson takes the reader into a whirlwind of self examination from the point of view of a Christianity that is not safe, but to paraphrase C.S. Lewis - but it is good. He deconstructs what many people see Christianity is - a train station you wait at on your way to heaven - an exposes a risk filled, passion driven, raw and adventure filled life.

Other writers have gone there, Erwin McManus' "Chasing Daylight" for example. But while I found McManus' prose to be difficult at times, Batterson is accessible. This is not a book for pastors to hoard, but one that can plant Holy Spirit seeds of another way of living in hearts of any believer willing to read and listen.

Mark has also created a website Chasethegoose.com where visitors can learn more and get information on how to find a set of life goals that would honor God and give them the life worth living. Excerpts of the book are also available. Tell me what you like about the book and its message. I'll randomize the comments and award one of the commenters a copy of Wild Goose Chase.

Highly recommended for personal reflection, for small group use, or as the basis of a sermon series. "Wild Goose Chase" gets five cats. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment