Saturday, October 10, 2009

Old School


Lord, I want to be a Christian in my heart, in my heart,
Lord, I want to be a Christian in my heart, in my heart.
In my heart, in my heart,
Lord, I want to be a Christian in my heart, in my heart.

Lord, I want to be more loving in my heart, in my heart,
Lord, I want to be more loving in my heart, in my heart.
In my heart, in my heart,
Lord, I want to be more loving in my heart, in my heart.

Lord, I want to be more holy in my heart, in my heart,
Lord, I want to be more holy in my heart, in my heart.
In my heart, in my heart,
Lord, I want to be more holy in my heart, in my heart.

Lord, I want to be like Jesus in my heart, in my heart,
Lord, I want to be like Jesus in my heart, in my heart.
In my heart, in my heart,
Lord, I want to be like Jesus in my heart, in my heart.


I'll be preaching on servanthood tomorrow morning. Even the word seems archaic. To bring the concept across to today is going to take some work. Not only am I up against the changes in language, but I'm living in the most individualistic culture on earth. The Builder generation will hear the call to serve others and silently reply "I've done my part." The boomers will hear and reply "that's what we pay you for." Gen X will think about it and decide they don't have time. Gen Y may still be open to change direction.

For some reason, that old hymn popped into my head this week as I considered Sunday's worship. I know that I probably either learned it during one of my infrequent periods of attendance in church as a boy, or after I got married and became a regular. :) For some reason I think it was the first option. If true, that means that whoever taught it to me is long gone from my memory, but their service to God lives on - in me.

Did you catch that?

I'm writing tonight as a weary man to weary men and women, especially those in smaller churches around the world. Listen! I know it's hard. Week in and week out, showing up to teach the same people, receiving little in the way of positive results immediately, or appreciation and feedback over time. Too many of you get too little "sabbath rest" from God's service and so you find yourselves at the ragged edge of burnout again. "Why should I care? No one else does. What I do doesn't matter."

Stop right now and tell that old liar Satan to remove himself from your presence and quit whispering lies like that in your ears. Rebuke him and he'll leave. For now.

You need to know that even though the boys and girls, men and women that you have served over the years may not remember your name or even who put God's truth - God's message - into their mind and hearts...

God has used you. He has!

I'm sitting here in tears tonight, thanking God for someone I cannot remember, who chose to serve in God's Church for God's glory. So what if I can't remember who it was? God knows, and I expect they were rewarded for their faithfulness with the most precious words any person who loves God can hear: "Well done, good and faithful servant."

No comments:

Post a Comment