Monday, June 30, 2008

New Hope @ Worship - At the Table

We normally meet as small groups on Sunday night, but after the weeks we used to prepare for Easter, everyone wanted to continue worship once a month. With Mother's day, father's day and all the other days, this was the first time we actually did. Each time we met during the run up to Easter, we shared the Lord's Supper. We varied the ways we did it, varied the elements we used, and tried to make it a time that was less about how well we pulled it off and more about allowing the Holy Spirit room to move us.

This whole week I've been thinking about how easy it is for us to slip from gratitude to take it for granted. And so I chose the story below to open our time of sharing.

5 So David sent for him and brought him from Makir’s home.6 His name was Mephibosheth ; he was Jonathan’s son and Saul’s grandson. When he came to David, he bowed low to the ground in deep respect. David said, “Greetings, Mephibosheth.”

Mephibosheth replied, “I am your servant.”
7 “Don’t be afraid!” David said. “I intend to show kindness to you because of my promise to your father, Jonathan. I will give you all the property that once belonged to your grandfather Saul, and you will eat here with me at the king’s table!”
8 Mephibosheth bowed respectfully and exclaimed, “Who is your servant, that you should show such kindness to a dead dog like me?”
9 Then the king summoned Saul’s servant Ziba and said, “I have given your master’s grandson everything that belonged to Saul and his family.10 You and your sons and servants are to farm the land for him to produce food for your master’s household. But Mephibosheth, your master’s grandson, will eat here at my table.” (Ziba had fifteen sons and twenty servants.)

Ziba replied,11 “Yes, my lord the king; I am your servant, and I will do all that you have commanded.” And from that time on, Mephibosheth ate regularly at David’s table, like one of the king’s own sons.
2 Sam 9:5-11 (NLT)


There's no way Mephibosheth got there alone. He had to be carried there, just as we have been carried by God's efforts into His Kingdom - to His table. I used this video to reinforce it.



How much the Father must love us.
How awesome it is to know we'll never be alone.
How wonderful to be a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment