Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sometimes You Can See When It's Dark

From One Time by William Stafford

When evening had flowed between houses
and paused on the schoolground, I met
Hilary's blind little sister following
the gray smooth railing still warm from the sun
with her hand; and she stood by the edge
holding her face upward waiting
while the last light found her cheek
and her hair, then on over the trees

You could hear the great sprinkler arm
of water find and then leave the pavement
and pigeons telling each other their dreams
or the dreams they would have. We were
deep in the well of shadow by then, and I
held out my hand, saying, "Tina, it's me - Hilary says I should tell
you it's dark,
and, oh Tina, it is. Together now-"

And I reached, our hands touched
and we found our way home."

To paint a picture of reality like this writer has done is a rare, rare gift.

Like this.

"I will not leave you orphaned. I'm coming back. 19 In just a little while the world will no longer see me, but you're going to see me because I am alive and you're about to come alive. 20 At that moment you will know absolutely that I'm in my Father, and you're in me, and I'm in you. John 14:18-20 (MSG)

Sometimes you can see through the words of Jesus, not just how theology works, but how deep is the Father's love. "And He reached, and our hands touched, and we found our way home."

No comments:

Post a Comment