Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Chuck Swindoll on People Pleasing Pastors

Nothing good ever comes from a ministry devoted to pleasing people! Rather than being a warrior for the King, it is easy to become an insecure coward, relying on human opinions and longing for human approval. By His grace, you and I don’t have to go there anymore.

Our responsibility is to deliver what God’s people need, not what they want. As we do, that truth should hit us with the same authority as it does the folks to whom we communicate. May God deliver every honest pastor, every truth-seeking church leader, and every Christian from the bondage of pleasing people.

“For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ” (Galatians 1:10). - Chuck Swindoll
HT: The Pastor's Soul, Role, and Home

In biblical days, Jesus used the metaphor of shepherds and sheep many times. Everyone in that culture understood what he meant. So when He looked at the crowds and "had compassion on them, for they were like sheep without a shepherd," in my minds, He was explaining how desperately people need someone to not be devoted to making them feel good, but helping God transform them into people like Jesus.

There have been so many times I've winced internally knowing that a decision I made would not be a popular one - but I made them, out of a sense of calling to be more than just a friend. It's not a natural act. Most of us like being liked.

But it's a God-honoring submission and I thank God for His strength to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment