Saturday, November 03, 2007

And There's More

This morning I was trying to find the right quote from Abraham Lincoln to use in a paper I'm writing for a seminary class. So I googled. Through the richness of the materials available on the Internet, I found the quote I was looking for in an electronic version of a child's biography of Lincoln. As I was scanning the pages looking for the quote I knew was there, I got caught up in the amazing life of Lincoln. Ten minutes later, I had finished the book and was amazed at what I had learned.

Stories have always drawn me in.

Sunday one of our kids at church, the irrepressible and painfully cute Madeline, tugged at my sleeve and, when she had my attention, proceeded to tell me about halloween and what she was going to do and how she had done it last year and when she was little and how she couldn't wait until Wednesday night and all the fun she was going to have as she came to New Hope and had more fun and she could hardly wait....

Yes, that's the way she delivered it. Past, present, and future all wrapped up in exceeding joy. She'd tell me something, take a breath, I'd think she was through... but there was more. :)

There's no way I can think about it today as I type this and not grin, knowing what Madeline will experience tomorrow night.

Just a few minutes ago, I was reading a story that left me feeling the same way. When I think about it now, I am filled with hope, with peace, and yes, with joy. See I was digging in the Bible trying to help our small group understand some pretty hefty theology. Words like propitiation (say what?), justification (huh?), and sanctification (aw come on now David) have their place friends, and we need to understand them and their underpinnings in Bible Truth.

But while I was in there looking for that Truth, I found this one.

1 Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. 2 Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.


Gal 5:1-2 (MSG)

God loves us! Not grudgingly, not sparingly but extravagantly! He's not worried about loving us too much, so why are we so prone to try to write another ending to His story?

In God - we WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that.

And I love you all in Christ Jesus.

Grace!

David

No comments:

Post a Comment