Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Who Are You Listening To?



Ouch! It was one of those moments that you wished you had missed.



As I entered the post office this morning, a young woman, holding a baby on one hip and dragging a little boy by his arm was trying to exit. The little boy was trying his best to push the door open, but he just wasn't able to.



So I sped up and pulled it open for them, smiling at the boy's efforts on behalf of his mom. He grinned back at me.



She didn't. She wasn't smiling at all. In fact she walked by me all the while telling her son that she had told him to move out of the way, that he knew he couldn't open that door, and probably more as she rounded the corner headed to her car, and away from me.



I said a prayer for the little ones, and for the one God had blessed with them.



What will a person think about themselves if they grow up with a diet of "you can't", "you won't", or "you never will"?



That's why I love our God. In Him we have One who will never treat us as less than a prized possession. We just have to accept that love. I'll give you an example from Scripture of one person who did: Mary, the Mother of Jesus.



When she was presented with God's plan, the Son of God made flesh by the Holy Spirit within her, she could have resisted for a lot of reasons. She didn't. Why?



She was listening to God.



Luke 1:38 (Msg)

And Mary said,

"Yes, I see it all now:

I'm the Lord's maid, ready to serve.

Let it be with me

just as you say."




She didn't have all the answers, but with that last sentence, she lets God's messenger know that she has heard what God said. I hope that little boy rises to overcome his mother's words. But I know that all we have to do to know our significance is to hear God and agree that what He says, goes.



Friend, don't let anyone tell you that you are less than God's best. Listen to your Father God. He knows best.



May it be with you today, just as God says.



Grace!



David



This devotional is written by David Wilson, pastor of New Hope Baptist church in Valparaiso, FL. If you find you have received this via a forward and would like to receive it regularly, or find you no longer wish to receive it, drop me an email at dwilsonfl@earthlink.net and I'll make the change to the list. If you'd like to know more about New Hope, visit our website at www.newhopevalp.org . May God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment