Thursday, August 12, 2004

Suspended Animation



In the older science fiction movies, it seemed someone was always stuffed into a tube sleeping. They were voyaging across the stars and were in a state of suspended animation - asleep to what was happening all around them.



I'm wondering today if there aren't people who feel that way about God - that He's there, but asleep or indifferent as we journey along in our life's voyage. While reading the Psalms today, I came across this picture of what happens when we awake to God.



Psalm 40:1-8 (Msg)

A David psalm



I waited and waited and waited for God.

At last he looked; finally he listened.

[2] He lifted me out of the ditch,

pulled me from deep mud.

He stood me up on a solid rock

to make sure I wouldn't slip.

[3] He taught me how to sing the latest God-song,

a praise-song to our God.

More and more people are seeing this:

they enter the mystery,

abandoning themselves to God.



[4] Blessed are you who give yourselves over to God,

turn your backs on the world's "sure thing,"

ignore what the world worships;

[5] The world's a huge stockpile

of God-wonders and God-thoughts.

Nothing and no one

comes close to you!

I start talking about you, telling what I know,

and quickly run out of words.

Neither numbers nor words

account for you.



[6] Doing something for you, bringing something to you—

that's not what you're after.

Being religious, acting pious—

that's not what you're asking for.

You've opened my ears

so I can listen.



[7] So I answered, "I'm coming.

I read in your letter what you wrote about me,

[8] And I'm coming to the party

you're throwing for me."

That's when God's Word entered my life,

became part of my very being.





Don't you love that last part? "I'm coming. I read in your letter what you wrote about me. And I'm coming to the party you're throwing for me."



Consider this your invitation to that party.



Listen! Hear God call out your name. Then wake up and turn your back on the world's "sure thing" for treasure no moths, no rust, and no thieves can ever touch.



This world is filled with a God with love enough for all who will make His way theirs.



Sleepers - awake!



Grace!



David



This devotional is written by David Wilson, pastor of New Hope Baptist church in Valparaiso, FL. If you find you have received this via a forward and would like to receive it regularly, or find you no longer wish to receive it, drop me an email at dwilsonfl@earthlink.net and I'll make the change to the list. If you'd like to know more about New Hope, visit our website at www.newhopevalp.org . May God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment