Thursday, August 26, 2004

Feeling a bit sheepish?



As I was passing through the book of John today, I came across some familiar verses of Scripture. In the tenth chapter, Jesus is trying to help the religious teachers understand God's love. This isn't the first time He's tried, and so this time he tries again using a metaphor they are familiar with - shepherds and sheep.



14 "I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me,

15 just as my Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep.

16 I have other sheep, too, that are not in this sheepfold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice; and there will be one flock with one shepherd.

John 10:14-16 (NLT)




Personally, it's been a long time since I've seen a sheep in person. But one of my pastor friends grew up on a farm where they raised sheep. His comments about them have forever shattered the image of them I had held. Here's some of his comments:



- if you put a bag over a lamb's head and lead it to another part of the barn, then take the bag off its head, it's lost and will either lay down and not move or will only go where you go.



- you can often corral them with just a broad painted line on the road or floor. If they do cross it, they will jump over it like it's 3-feet high.



- if one lamb jumps out of a second story window, so will any others near it.



It doesn't sound as if being called sheep would be a very good thing. They sound fearful, anxious, easily led astray.



But this story really helps you understand what Jesus was saying.



"One time, grandpa let me out of the truck and told me to take the sheep into the barn. I started into my sheep-dog routine of pushing the sheep to the barn. I chased these things all over a four acre field and couldn't get them to go anywhere near the barn. Exasperated, grandpa got of the truck, opened the barn door, walked out to the sheep, turned around and just walked into the barn. The sheep followed him. As he closed the barn door, he said to me under his breath, "You drive hogs. You lead sheep."



27 My sheep recognize my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them away from me,

29 for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. So no one can take them from me.

30 The Father and I are one." John 10:27-30 (NLT)




Friends, Jesus will never lead you astray. Listen for the voice of the Shepherd of souls. There are a lot of voices calling out for your attention, some even for your allegiance.



Just remember - the Good Shepherd laid down His life for the sheep. There is no greater love.



Grace!



David

No comments:

Post a Comment