Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Strange Way To Change the World



It's so hard to wrap your head around it. Of all the ways that God could have acted - a baby? Jonathan Dobson quotes Bono in a post on his blog Creation Project today.

“The idea that God, if there is a force of Logic and Love in the universe, that it would seek to explain itself is amazing enough.

That it would seek to explain itself and describe itself by becoming a child born in straw poverty, in shit and straw…a child…

I just thought: “Wow!” Just the poetry … Unknowable love, unknowable power, describes itself as the most vulnerable.

There it was.

I was sitting there, and it’s not that it hadn’t struck me before, but tears came streaming down my face, and I saw the genius of this, utter genius of picking a particular point in time and deciding to turn on this.”
U2 frontman Bono
Excerpt taken from Bono: in conversation (New York: Riverhead Books, 2005), 124-5.

As I continue to prepare for Sunday's "You Say You Want A Revolution" message for this Sunday, for me it is the "backstory" of Christmas that fascinates me. Why then? Why there? Why them?

It was so... common.

And yet it changed everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment