Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The NLT Blog - Finally!



The New Living Translation is my "go to" Bible of choice. I use the second edition for study, for preaching, and it is my first recommend to anyone looking for an accessible, clear, and accurate translation of the original texts. The first edition is my bedside companion that I read just before turning the lights out every night. It's a copy sent to me by Tyndale House years ago, and I love that Bible.

When the second edition came out, I emailed Mark Taylor of Tyndale House and asked him for a comparison chart to the first edition, so I would know where the changes were. He explained that there were so many changes that would almost be impossible. So he sent me a Life Application Study Bible in the new version. I was overwhelmed. Later, we started purchasing paperback NLT Bibles for our church by the cases and told people to take them home if they needed a Bible they could understand and read daily. I'll bet we've given away a dozen cases of Bibles over the years, and we're a smaller church.

Turns out that Tyndale is finally rolling out their own study Bible, and has set up a blog not just for that purpose, but to interact with NLT users and others. It's called "The NLT Blog" (I guess all the marketing people were busy.) :)

The blog exposes the reader to some of the inner workings and decisions that go on in the work of translation. How words come across to today's reader is my concern, and one of the first articles there takes readers through how those choices are made.

Participants in the blog are some of the names you'd read on the inside of your NLT including Mark Taylor, and people from all over the globe. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to better understand the NLT, the dynamic equivalence method of translation, or just wants to hang out with Bible geeks. Drop the feed in your reader, it's worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment