Sunday, August 06, 2006

Sometimes...

He's a prodigal, trying to find home. Raised in a family by parents that knew salvation from sin, he didn't turn away from it himself, even though he had their examples to learn from. Tattooed, pierced, shaved head, but here.

Came up to me and showed me a rock, polished to a gleaming shine - swirl laid upon swirl of color. "It has water in it that's 2.5 million years old" he told me. "Well that's interesting," I said. "better not drink it, it's probably pretty stale." I tool it from him and looked it over, and handed it back with a "that's pretty neat." And he was off to show someone else.

Later he showed someone else. "How do you know that it's that old?", they said. "Carbon dating only goes back so far, so that might not be very old at all."

Someone else stepped up and said "It really is pretty."

"I like rocks", he said.

Tell me why people - Christians in particular - feel the need to point out other people's flaws and faults. What was served by challenging the young man on this? Will that help him find Christ? Will it help him hang around the church long enough to make it his home?

He was reaching out, trying to make connections. But someone needed to be right more than they needed him to find Jesus.

Sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment