Monday, June 12, 2006

Obey Your Thirst

It's hot! It was 95 degrees here the other day, and my greatest temptation was to leave my office and go play in the sprinklers Jim Quinnell had set up to water the grass... err sand. There's no way that any vegetation can live without water. The ancient Israelites knew that, and they knew that people and livestock needed water too. Thirst was a powerful motivator.

1 God—you're my God! I can't get enough of you!
I've worked up such hunger and thirst for God,
traveling across dry and weary deserts.

2-4 So here I am in the place of worship, eyes open,
drinking in your strength and glory.
In your generous love I am really living at last!
My lips brim praises like fountains.
I bless you every time I take a breath;
My arms wave like banners of praise to you. Psalm 63 (The Message)

So the idea of using water as a metaphor for what God could supply was always in the hearts and minds of God's people. The rabbis in Jesus' day were thought to give "water" to their disciples. If the "waters", or in other words their teachings, were good - then the disciples could drink from God's waters. If a rabbi gave poor teachings he was "exiled to a place of evil waters, and the disciples who come after him will drink and die."

So when Jesus met a woman, even a Samaritan enemy, even a woman little better than a prostitute - He looked past her present situation to her deepest need.

Thirst.

11-12The woman said, "Sir, you don't even have a bucket to draw with, and this well is deep. So how are you going to get this 'living water'? Are you a better man than our ancestor Jacob, who dug this well and drank from it, he and his sons and livestock, and passed it down to us?"

13-14Jesus said, "Everyone who drinks this water will get thirsty again and again. Anyone who drinks the water I give will never thirst—not ever. The water I give will be an artesian spring within, gushing fountains of endless life." John 4 (The Message)

When Christ approaches a person, He offers more than cheap self-help. He's not in for the quick fix or the easiest way out of where you find yourself. It's not about fixing your marriage, or your finances, or helping you deal with a troubled kid.

All those things can happen to you again, even after you become a Christ-follower. So if you came into a walk with Jesus expecting Easy Street, you really need to retrace your steps and begin again - at the cross.

Your need - your deepest need - to be clean before God and possess His Spirit within - is completely satisfied in Christ.

Obey your thirst. Trust in Jesus.

Grace!


David
--
Visit with me at my blog:
http://davethepastor.livejournal.com/
Or visit New Hope!
http://www.newhopevalp.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment