Sunday, March 19, 2006

Never quit on Sunday

It's late Sunday night - the close of another week here. During the week I've prayed over the names of those in the congregation, I've prepared and delivered two small group teachings and one Sunday sermon. There have been conversations long and short with the people God has given me to care for, and time spent together working Saturday on the church's appearance. In other words, a full week has passed.

Now at the end, I look back and wonder...

What if he had summoned the courage to admit he needed Jesus? What if she had decided to give Him her heart? What would that family look like if God had been made the head of it? And how awesome it could have been if the church had been moved to change.

Without omniscience, all I can do is my best and trust God.

Then today, our worship leader, a young man with both talent and a great heart for God, was talking to a church nearer his home about becoming their worship guy. How hard it is to find someone like that in a church our size. What will we do to replace him, when it took months to find him just two years ago? How will the everpresent traditionalists react? Will I have to fight that battle again?

All I can do is trust God. Yes, I'm practicing what I preach.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:47 PM

    The never ending what-ifs, if-onlys and disappointments of ministry! Early in my ministry I was given the advice to never quit on a Monday and I'd get through a life time of ministry! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete