Sunday, January 22, 2006

You Have To Play the Lottery To Win It

If there's one area that has been a thorn in my side almost all the years I have been in ministry, it's church finances. Specifically the lack of them, and the tendency of those who administer them to completely lose faith in God's provision. I think the reason Jesus often left the disciples and went into the wilderness was because someone was reading the financial report line by line.

Should God see fit to make me a millionaire, I'd set up a blind trust for the church with a requirement that no one with the "gift of administration" every came near it.

Forgive me, but I'm tired of hearing "we need to wait on God to supply what we need before we step out in ministry." Whatever happened to faith? In almost seven years at my present church, we have had times where we were hardpressed, but we were never abandoned by God. I could give story after story of how God provided in sometimes miraculous ways just at the right time. Somehow those always get forgotten though, when the lean times come.

For anyone reading this who works in the financial area of their church, here me now and believe me later - You have to use faith in order to see God at work, just as you have to play the lottery to win it.

Gotta run - the jackpot is up to 40 million and if I win it, I get to keep my subscription to Outreach magazine.

Grace!

David

1 comment:

  1. Dave,
    If you didn't know it, you've been tagged.

    ReplyDelete