Wednesday, July 07, 2004

The Worst Book



While I was at our local library yesterday, I picked up a book filled with the worst. The idea behind it was to prepare people for the worst thing that can happen to them. Now that I've read it, I no longer have to worry about what I'll do if:



- I have to jump from a bridge into a river.

- I have to deal with army ants

- I'm in a car dangling over a cliff and need to escape.

- I've decided to jump from a building into a dumpster

- I need to jump from a moving train.

- I'm attacked by leeches, or sharks, or killer bees, or alligators

- I fall into quicksand, or a cesspool, or frigid water

- I need to bribe a foreign official, deal with UFOs or charging bulls



These are just a few of the worst case scenarios the book tries to prepare you for. But even though they have given the reader an exhaustive list of what to do if your life may be in danger, they left out the biggest dangers and the best way out.



The biggest danger anyone can ever face is life without God, followed by death without God.



Job 27:1 (Msg) ".... What hope do people without God have when life is cut short?

when God puts an end to life?....




They don't have any hope. But God has provided for everything. The best way out?



1 John 4:9 (Msg)

This is how God showed His love for us: God sent His only Son into the world so we might live through Him.



All anyone needs to do is embrace God's love through Jesus Christ, His Son.



The writers of the "Worst Case Scenario" must have spent days thinking up the worst things that could happen to someone. You've got your own list I'm pretty sure. Just know this friends, in the words of the song, "Can't nobody love you like Jesus."



Open the book filled with the best love ever today. Let His love flow into your heart and through you to others.



Ephes. 5:2 (Msg)

Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.



Grace!



David



This devotional is written by David Wilson, pastor of New Hope Baptist church in Valparaiso, FL. If you find you have received this via a forward and would like to receive it regularly, or find you no longer wish to receive it, drop me an email at dwilsonfl@earthlink.net and I'll make the change to the list. If you'd like to know more about New Hope, visit our website at www.newhopevalp.org . May God bless you.



No comments:

Post a Comment