Tuesday, July 27, 2004

 

No, But I Saw His Tracks



Sunday was our big VBS celebration extravaganza here, and it was something else! Picture if you will bunches of grinning, hopping, spinning, singing kids, aided and abetted by lots of New Hope's adults. Watch as confetti is shot into the air. Be spellbound as the youth do a skit that was both funny and serious at the same time. And pay careful attention to that guy at the end in the Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes, after all, he's the pastor.



We had quite a few visitors here, and one pair took all the happenings in and replied in answer to a question of "How did you like New Hope?" with "It sure is different. I can see why our granddaughter loves to come here."



It was different.



You could look at the service and point out that we didn't sing a hymn until the very end, when an extended invitation that began with "Grace Flows Down" morphed into "Amazing Grace."



You could point out that the offering wasn't collected, but placed into a box.



You could say that the style was too exuberant, too casual, that you couldn't see Jesus doing that. Granted, I'd have a hard time picturing Jesus singing the "Na, na, na, na" song, but that doesn't mean He wasn't present.



I saw His tracks.



First, there was the chalk outlines of little hands and feet on the sidewalk, with a drawing of a rainbow. I knew someone had told little ones about God's grace.



Then as I was walking to the office this morning, I saw a scrap of paper. That's normal, with the amount of kids we have, I sometimes find scraps of paper out front. Unfolding it though, I saw scribbling words like a little boy or girl would write. It said "Jesus Loves Me!" and had a heart beside it.



Yes, He does, and yes, He was here - I saw His tracks.



Tonight as we cleaned up the glitter, and removed the last traces of VBS 2004, I had to pop in and remind you of how God furnishes His house.



Matthew 21:16 (Msg)      "Do you hear what these children are saying?"    Jesus said, "Yes, I hear them. And haven't you read in God's Word, 'From the mouths of children and babies I'll furnish a place of praise'?"

 

New Hope was a place of praise on Sunday, as Jesus saw His children celebrate His name. Did I see Him? No, but I saw His tracks.



Grace!



David



This devotional is written by David Wilson, pastor of New Hope Baptist church in Valparaiso, FL. If you find you have received this via a forward and would like to receive it regularly, or find you no longer wish to receive it, drop me an email at dwilsonfl@earthlink.net and I'll make the change to the list. If you'd like to know more about New Hope, visit our website at www.newhopevalp.org . May God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment