Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Leaving Your Mark


Years ago, when my supply of books was outpacing my capacity to store them, my Father In Law, Curtis Clinard decided to apply his considerable woodworking skills and help me out. He designed and built a pair of large bookshelves with an entertainment center in the middle. 

The entertainment center suffered from the advance of technology. Since you can put a half dozen LCDs in the cavern a tube TV occupied, its place in our house was lost (it's in the garage now). But the bookshelves that accompany it have and are serving to hold the books I use every week.

You know Curtis had me "help" him when the bookshelves and TV unit were built. Not in any skilled way for sure - but I was there, watching and helping with what I could. I learned a little bit about carpentry. And I learned a little more about my Father-In-Law's way. 

He was precise - measured twice to cut once.
He was efficient - his tools and materials were arranged so the job was easier.
He was guided by his convictions - if it was to have his name on it, it had to be the best he could do.
And he was kind. There were times my "help" probably was not helpful. But when it wasn't, he stopped and without any sign of exasperation or disappointment, he'd not just fix it - he'd show me why it happened, how to fix it, and how not to do it again.

Yeah, I learned a little bit about carpentry that year. And I learned a lot from my Father-In-Law that still is guiding me today. He left his mark on me.

I believe it's because of the mark he carried on his heart from his Savior. Think about it. Curtis Clinard was a follower of Jesus Christ. A carpenter from Nazareth. What he learned at Christ's workbench, he simply passed along to me. 

29  Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30  For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” 
(Matt 11:29-30)

Guided by the Truth in love, 

David

No comments:

Post a Comment