Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Downwind


So this morning dawns bright and sunny after yesterday's monsoon, and while I'm lacing my shoes I'm thinking about how great it's going to be to walk along Bayshore. It was a bit cooler as I stepped outside, and since it's downhill from my house, I got a great start. Played Frogger with the cars heading into Eglin as I crossed the 4 lane, and reached Bayshore. Walking pretty briskly, I looked out over the water, sunlight reflecting off the slight waves, and saw an early rising water skier enjoying their ride. A little farther and I saw an osprey shopping for breakfast. All was right with the world. But then...

What is that smell? My stomach almost turned over, as did my breakfast. The suddenness and the intensity gripped me. I'll press on, I thought, and get past this. But I didn't get past it. I walked another quarter of a mile and it would not let up. I rounded a corner and discovered the source. I had been following the garbage truck. And on a warm and muggy Florida morning, it was ripe.

So I waved to them and changed direction. It took a slight detour through the neighborhood, but I was able to come out ahead of them, back on Bayshore, and enjoyed the rest of my time.

What is it that stinks in your life today?

Maybe it's time to change direction.

'Do people fall down and not get up? Or take the wrong road and then just keep going? 5 So why does this people go backwards, and just keep on going—backwards! They stubbornly hold on to their illusions, refuse to change direction.
Jer 8:4-5 (MSG)

If God has shown you that where you are is not where He wants you to be - decide to change direction and follow His path today. Living out of God's will stinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment