Sunday, December 13, 2009

We Need A Little Christmas


 We were out and about today, actually headed to the mall. It was a dreary December day - rainy and cold. It's that time of year when you can feel the collective angst as people feel like time is running out (along with money). As we rode along, I told Bunny that I felt as though we had lost a lot that was special this year. The crushing loss of her dear sweet Mother combined with having to say goodbye to our friend Henley the Great Dane has been hanging over us like a cloud - a dark one.


"For I've grown a little leaner,
Grown a little colder,
Grown a little sadder,
Grown a little older,..."

...says the song, and it's true. Well, except for the "leaner" part.

I've seen it in others over the years as a pastor and now I'm catching a whiff of it myself. It's the tendency to look back instead of looking forward, of swapping hope for memories, of believing that there's less joy ahead than there has been before. Bunny and I love our family. We love our church family. We love where we live and what we do. But it's been a tough year.

So yes, we need a little Christmas, right this very minute.

Thank God for a chance to worship Christ at New Hope later today.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... that's "funny". Tho' I know it's been an extraordinarily tough year, I'd still ENCOURAGE you - as we encouraged our pastor & his wife to do - to take some time alone together to consider all that God has used you to accomplish this past year according to His purposes. From the little I know by reading your blog, I think you both would be greatly encouraged(!)... & given some extra motivation to press on! :)

    ReplyDelete