Monday, July 17, 2006

Barna's Revolution - Not

Amazon.com: Revolution: Books: George Barna

I've read George Barna's work since "The Frog In the Kettle". Frequently, I've made use of his groundbreaking research into the culture and the church. As a researcher, I'd give him high marks, but as a theologian and a prophet, he flunks.

The book chronicles Barna's look at an emerging force he calls "Revolutionairies". These are people who according to Barna possess an active faith and who choose to operate outside the established church as they fulfill their mission. He claims the church as we know it is on its last legs as these people leave. And he applauds it!

I've done "house church", and I've done solo Christianity. And I'd add I have yet to come across the hordes of people living out their faith and growing in Jesus outside a community of faith. I don't buy Barna's premise, and I was awfully glad I didn't buy this book.

I got it free and it was worth every penny.



technorati tags:, , ,

Blogged with Flock

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:20 AM

    Heya David,

    Nobody ever accussed you of not having an opinion, did they. LOL.

    It's a shame that biblically ordered house churches got lumped in with Barna's solo Revolutionaries. What a farce.

    The jury is still out on the Barna numbers, btw. As a researcher you might be interested in these links. Personally, I think it's time for another poll, taken by someone who has nothing for sale.

    http://www.housechurch.org/blog/2006/08/31/those-incredible-house-church-numbers/

    http://www.housechurch.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi_hc/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/39/t/000010.html

    ReplyDelete