Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Lipstick on A Pig

We've come a long way at New Hope in becoming more open to people outside the family of God. On balance, we're providing a great "front porch" that people can come and hang out on until they get some of their questions answered or are confirmed in their faith.

Right now, I'm challenged by the reality of what happens after someone comes into the family.

In one area, thanks to some sleuthing, I've been able to see what some of our folks act like among their friends. The language used, and the situations described aren't consistent with what a follower of Christ should be doing. In another area, I have a couple trapped in a "Groundhog Day" cycle of revival and ridiculous behavior. In still another, I have people who should know better not practicing discipline.

It's made me realize that drawing a crowd, even running people through 101 into membership doesn't seem to give you any more chance of their proceeding into true discipleship than before. Claiming you are doing well by counting the crowd doesn't change the fact that our mandate is to make disciples.

In youth, I'm going to suggest we turn away from games even as icebreakers into Bible Study. To turn away from topics to exposition. To get serious.

We'll lose some of the social fringe kids during the week. But maybe we'll strengthen those who get it enough to help them become mature followers of Christ.

In adults, we need to keep small groups going and expect growth.

I know in the seeker sensitive world I'll become anathema. But I don't care. I have to answer to Christ for every single soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment