Monday, April 03, 2006

Wear and Tare

One of the toughest things about trying to transition a church from death to life is staying positive. So many things are operating on a razor's edge of competency in a small church anyway, but a small church trying to change just amps that up off the scale.

And when you think you can finally relax in an area, it always seems that God sends another challenge. Right now, we're in a holding pattern because of our worship leader's flirtation with moving to another church. I'm 100% for following God wherever He leads, but it's been a week since he went and led music there and we still don't know if he's leaving or not. Great guy, not his fault, but that's one of the things that wears on me as I look forward - is the music going to improve, or fall back.

Then there's the tare.

If I had a $20 bill for every time one of the older members mentions hymns, I could take everyone who will ever read this out to eat. Lady comes up today and hands me an article titled "Some Contemporary Churches Embrace Old Hymns". Now remember, we are a church that does hymns - did four today. But we don't do ALL hymns. I thanked her for the article, mentioned our blend...

Then she proceeded to tell me about her son's church where they had two services- one traditional and one contemporary. "See the pastor wore a suit and tie in the first and he took off the coat and tie in the contemporary." Hmm... what should the pastor who doesn't wear a suit respond to that?

It just wears on you.

I'm convinced that people like her, who cannot see our efforts to reach out to her as well as those not in church, who will accept nothing except a rollback to 1970 - are tares. They don't love Jesus - cause they don't love His church. They want THEIR CHURCH. And the war is never, ever over, even if the church has doubled in size, people are being discipled, and the pastor and wife are laying their lives on the line everyday to make God proud.

Sigh.............

Another vote for church planting.

3 comments:

  1. I sense and empathise with your pain David.
    Thats a insightful post.

    I remember crying one Tuesday as I looked out over the empty pews and thinking, why dont these people get it?

    I am not a raving Pentecostal but God did speak to me that day.
    He lifted my eyes up across various sections of the church and said clearly, "these people dont love Me".

    I started praying the normal prayer in this situation, "Lord change them, take them 'home' or move them to another church".

    He has done all three.
    Can I encourage you? Persevere and pray.
    Stay, outstay the 'old crusties' and the fruit will come, and they will move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:47 AM

    Hey David,

    I can speak for my friend Mark's (previous comment) situation of some years ago. He was there years before things, slowly, turned around. It sounds like it's happening in your situation as well! But I can sure related to the 'wear and tare' comment - been there myself. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave,
    I'm in a similar situation as you know. I have to remind myself of the scripture that states, "Do not become weary in well doing. For in time you will reap a harvest." Still waiting for the harvest and getting a bit tired at times. Hang in there buddy.

    ReplyDelete