Friday, February 25, 2005

Grey - Go Away!

It was grey today. In a place that gets over 300 days of mostly sunshine.

Everything was wrapped into a big grey package that you kept waiting for the sun to rip open.

But he never did.

I'm not really into grey. (Understatement alert!!!!)

And I'm ready for winter to be over.

The earth around me is beginning its annual revolt against the forces of greyness. Pink azaleas have begun to appear, along with daffodils. Soon the rebellion will be all around me, as each flower, each tree competes to see who can contribute the most to the banishment of all things grey to wherever grey goes until next winter.

Good riddance. Old Man Winter can pack his bags and leave any time. In the meantime though, I've got to look forward, not back, just as I have to look forward to what God has for me, not back through my old grey life without Him.

Listen to how expectantly Paul of Tarsus writes about what's ahead for believers. It's like Spring!

12So don't you see that we don't owe this old do-it--yourself life one red cent. 13There's nothing in it for us, nothing at all. The best thing to do is give it a decent burial and get on with your new life. 14God's Spirit beckons. There are things to do and places to go!

15This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It's adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike "What's next, Papa?" The Letter to the Romans, chapter 8 The Message

Call me "Adventurously expectant" about what God's going to do around us and in us beginning again tomorrow - rain or shine. :)

There are things to do and places to see with our loving God. I can't wait to see what's next.

Grace!

David

This devotional is written by David Wilson, pastor of New Hope Baptist church in Valparaiso, FL. If you find you have received this via a forward and would like to receive it regularly, or find you no longer wish to receive it, drop me an email at dwilsonfl@earthlink.net and I'll make the change to the list. If you'd like to know more about New Hope, visit our website at www.newhopevalp.org . May God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment