Tuesday, April 20, 2004

A Handful of Feathers and a Heartful of Hope



1 Follow God's example in everything you do, because you are His dear children.

2 Live a life filled with love for others, following the example of Christ, who loved you and gave Himself as a sacrifice to take away your sins.
Eph 5:1-2 (NLT)



Last week I wrote about the efforts of a group of mockingbirds to save one of their own. The next day when I came to church, I was still smiling over how good had triumphed. Then I saw them. in the corner of our walkway, I saw a handful of feathers streaked with blood. They weren't full size. My heart sank when I realized that clearly, one of the fledglings didn't make it.



It bothered me. Maybe it shouldn't have, but it did.



Oh I know that's the way the world works. I'm not so naive as to believe that the Italian Sausage I ate with my spaghetti tonight was picked off a bush. Animals die, some as a result of other creature's needs.



But I thought I had made a difference, and it didn't seem like I had.



Sunday though, one of our members did. Seeing another fledgling in trouble, lying on its side on the concrete outside our buildings, she scooped it up and took it to an emergency vet. After an unfortunate incident with another patient (a cat), I can report that at least one of the fledglings will make it to adulthood.



Friends, that made me smile. If enough people do enough acts of simple kindness, we can change things. Yes, this world is tough - hard - cruel. But hearing about how the Edwards family saved that little bird replaced the image of a handful of feathers with a heart full of hope. They made a difference.



You may be wondering right now if you've done anything right. People you've poured your life out for just haven't turned out as well as you've hoped. You tried, and failure seems to be staring back at you like a handful of feathers.



Well friend, I am here to tell you that no act of kindness is ever wasted - regardless of whether the person you give it to returns it in kind. If Christ had not had the attitude of loving sacrifice for the undeserving, and the potentially rejecting people we are - where would we be?



But He did love the unlovely, even knowing many would fail to love Him back. And for me, He's made all the difference in this world - and the next. :) That gives me a heartful of hope. And a reason to keep trying to help as many as I can.



Make a difference! Follow Christ's example and live a life of love.



Grace!



David Wilson



This devotional is written by David Wilson, pastor of New Hope Baptist church in Valparaiso, FL. If you find you have received this via a forward and would like to receive it regularly, or find you no longer wish to receive it, drop me an email at dwilsonfl@earthlink.net and I'll make the change to the list. If you'd like to know more about New Hope, visit our website at www.newhopevalp.org . May God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment