Friday, May 02, 2008

Expelled



A bunch of the guys from church and I went to eat tonight and then to go and see the movie "Expelled" with Ben Stein. It was hard to know exactly what to expect, given that I've been reading opinions from both sides for several weeks.

Overall, I think it did exactly what Stein hoped it would do. It made you wonder why science isn't allowing scientists to pursue whatever line of inquiry they chose to follow, even if it leads toward a designer.

Lots of very bright people interviewed in the movie on both sides of the debate, and to their credit were civil in the most part. Richard Dawkins would be an exception, but he's just being who he is. I was prepared for Stein to move toward Nazi Germany as an expression of where logically Darwinism and the survival of the fittest leads. He did, but it wasn't overblown by any means. It just made sense.

Hey, I was headed into science once upon a time, still love to read some of the popular literature. But at some point, science runs out of steam. I have no problem believing in Jesus and enjoying what science can do. I hope that others will pick up Stein's challenge to follow where they want to go and not let the Darwin crowd stop them.

No comments:

Post a Comment