Thursday, July 03, 2008

Rockbridge Seminary Assignment - Write A Poem

In the class I'm enrolled in this term, we are studying the theology and practice of worship. Our hope is that we'll learn more about what worship is, how it has been done - so that we'll worship differently - deeper - and help others do the same.

Rockbridge's seminary experience is different. Up to this class I would have used "practicality" as a descriptor. But in this class, I was asked to do something so far outside the box that practicality doesn't do it justice. Michelangelo covered a ceiling with paint once. Did the job. But no one who walks into the Sistine Chapel says, "Wow, that really covered well."

Maybe it's because I love words that the assignment touched me so. We were asked to write a worship poem that expressed the worship of our heart to God. I write all the time - blogs like this one, devotionals, and of course sermons.

But I've never written... to worship.

Until today.



Whatever I was, is dead
I gave it up willingly, without knowing what that meant
and yet, I would never take it back
It is His

Whatever I am, is alive
Life came within, and learning what it meant to live
and so, I live to give more, ever more
I am His

2 comments:

  1. David,

    Nice poem. Reminds me of my life verse: Gal. 2:20.

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's intentional. That verse helps me stay centered on what Christ has done.

    David

    ReplyDelete