Thursday, July 24, 2008

20 Questions - Are You A Church Planter?

Really good post on Adrian Warnock's blog where he interviews Scott Thomas, Acts 29 Director. He goes through the characteristics of church planters and lists 20 characteristics. In the article, he fleshes each one of these out, but I thought I'd list them here. Many of these would be shared by transitional pastors, but not all. Still, I think it is critical that you know what you are about and what you are after regardless of whether you are planting a new work or trying to turn an older church from inwardly focused to a church on mission.
HT - Adrian Warnock

Take a look at these and go over and read it all.
  1. Am I a Christian?
  2. Am I passionately in love with Jesus, and is he the Lord of my life in every area?
  3. Do I believe his Word, and does it affect my life deeply?
  4. Am I Spirit-filled, Spirit-led, Spirit-directed, and Spirit-controlled?
  5. Am I qualified as an elder?
  6. Do I love the local church as an expression of a gospel community on a mission?
  7. Am I a missionary to the city? Am I sent for the advancement of the gospel in the city?
  8. Do I have a clear vision for this new work?
  9. Am I wiling to pour myself out in obedience to the vision?
  10. Am I healthy physically, emotionally, financially, spiritually, relationally, maritally, mentally?
  11. Am I the kind of leader many people will follow? Have I served as some form of church leader successfully?
  12. Can I preach effectively?
  13. Can I guard the doctrinal door with biblical clarity and tenacious confidence?
  14. Can I architect a new work with entrepreneurial skill?
  15. Am I called to plant a church at this time and in this place?
  16. Have my church leaders commended me for this calling?
  17. Am I a hard worker? Am I persevering?
  18. Am I adaptable to new people, places, and concepts?
  19. Can I raise the funds required for my family's needs? Can I still be there for my family?
  20. Am I humble enough to learn from others — particularly from those who have gone ahead of me in different areas?

No comments:

Post a Comment