Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Passive Voice


Bunny was writing something the other day for her amazingly eclectic blog, and she decided to use a grammar checker just to make sure she was making her high school English teachers proud. She got nicked a couple of times by the software for "passive voice." I can remember the same thing happening to me when I used that kind of software. The writers of that software code were making sure that anyone who wrote was going to take you somewhere.

So I'm reading the gospel of Mark today, and I get to the calling of the first disciples. "Jesus called out to them, "Come, be my disciples,and I will show you how to fish for people." And they left their nets at once and went with Him.

What does "Come and be my disciples..." mean?

The New Testament record indicates that Jesus and the disciples saw it as anything BUT passive.

DO SOMETHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment