Tuesday, March 01, 2011

An introduction worthy of Him



1 In the beginning was the Word,
and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God.
2 He was with God in the beginning.
3 All things were created through Him,
and apart from Him not one thing was created
that has been created.
4 Life was in Him,
and that life was the light of men.
5 That light shines in the darkness,
yet the darkness did not overcome it. John 1 NLT 2.0


1 εν αρχη ην ο λογος και ο λογος ην προς τον θεον και θεος ην ο λογος
2 ουτος ην εν αρχη προς τον θεον
3 παντα δι αυτου εγενετο και χωρις αυτου εγενετο ουδε εν ο γεγονεν
4 εν αυτω ζωη ην και η ζωη ην το φως των ανθρωπων
5 και το φως εν τη σκοτια φαινει και η σκοτια αυτο ου κατελαβεν

1:1 In the beginning* was the Word, and the Word was with God,* and the Word was fully God.* 1:2 The Word* was with God in the beginning. 1:3 All things were created* by him, and apart from him not one thing was created* that has been created.* 1:4 In him was life,* and the life was the light of mankind.* 1:5 And the light shines on* in the darkness,* but* the darkness has not mastered it.* NET Bible

The rule in communication is to grab the reader, listener, or viewer by the heart quickly. The amount of time you have to draw them in varies in the studies I have read from 1 minute at the most to 15 seconds at the least. So imagine that you want to tell the world about the most important thing that has or will ever happen.

How would you start?

What would you say in your introduction?

These verses are my obsession this week as through them my prayer is the Holy Spirit makes Jesus plain to everyone who will hear or read the message I'm driven to give Sunday. Having read a lot about John and his context, I'm diving in today - word studies to ground myself in what the text says before I widen my search to commentaries and what other people say.

I'm also carrying them around in me. Meditating on the passage for Sunday all week means I can spend time listening for what the Spirit might teach me in MY context. Sometimes that turns out to be the best "study" I do all week.

Today, I am just in awe.

For a man like John to pick up a stylus or pen and write these verses and know that God was speaking through you? To be entrusted with explaining the nature and character of God?

Wow...

No comments:

Post a Comment