Monday, August 11, 2008

New Hope @ Worship 10 August 2008

Well, after being gone last Sunday I was looking forward to worship this week. When we're gone, three (okay two real ones if you subtract me) are out of the mix and it limits what we can do. So I was excited to be able to do these.

O Worship the King - awesome, awesome song to open worship with
How Can I Keep From Singing - again, just great
True Worship Song - I like it, but I wish I had chosen another - too big a drop off
Shout to the Lord - a golden oldie

And then for commitment, in my never ending search for something different but meaningful, Bunny suggested -

Nothing But the Blood, Matt Redman version

As for the message: As lead pastor, I'm not the only source of vision in our church, but I am the guy who has to constantly align our practices with our values. We had a Sunday while I was gone where it seemed the focus shifted back inside to us and from the people who are "not here yet." That cannot be. The church as institution has failed. It's a dead horse. The church as movement is where we have to be. God leads us ever out to engage the culture through relationships. He wants to use us in His Big Story of reconciling the world to Himself through Jesus - but we cannot let ourselves get sucked into believing it is about us.

It is about Him.

So if you listen to the sermon, you'll have the context - a serious effort to make sure we stay true to our mission of reaching people far from Jesus, and to get people to remember Who we are partnering with.


No comments:

Post a Comment