Saturday, August 23, 2008

Do our efforts make Christianity complicated?

Ever wonder what I was doing all those years in marketing and sales? Well it wasn't this.



I'm sitting here on Saturday night. My son is in his room surrounded by guitars and computers. My wife is in the living room watching TV. Our Great Dane sleeps on the floor beside me. And as I type this, I am trying to follow Jesus.

That's it. Pretty simple in some ways, incredibly challenging in others.

Over the last few years it's become increasingly apparent to me that I know plenty about Jesus. I've known of Him almost all my life, and have followed Him as His disciple for over half that life. At times, it seems as if I can hear Him call me to hurry up, and at others He whispers, "slow down."

In the Old Testament, God gave the people of Israel a list and instructed them to follow it. The people took that list and subdivided it, fractionated it and over time, strangled the life out of their relationship with God.

In the New Testament, God gave them (and us) His Son and we were instructed to come and follow Him. That's what I'm trying to do.

Now.

And a moment from now.

And after.

No comments:

Post a Comment