Monday, August 11, 2008

Looking back, Looking Forward



It's been a week of milestones remembered for me. August 6th marked the day I asked the lovely Bunny Clinard to be my wife. It was a typical hot August day in GA and we were riding down the road in her 1973 Chevy Vega when I realized that my life would forever be incomplete without her. I literally was struck by the thought that I could not imagine living without her. So words came out of my mouth because of what was overflowing in my heart. And she said YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






August 11th marked the entry into the world of our oldest son David Adam Wilson. Upon his arrival, a couple became a family and I gained a coveted title - daddy. He was a joy as a child, and is a blessing today. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way he became a Bulldog fan. We have an intervention scheduled for the Saturday after Thanksgiving at Grant field.



And then it was nine years ago that I accepted the call to be the pastor of New Hope Baptist in Valparaiso. Before my interaction with the search committee, I had no idea where Valparaiso was. After my interaction with them and their full disclosure of the church's situation, I was not sure I wanted to know any more. But we came down to meet with the committee, praying all the while, and after a few days we knew that this was the place God was calling us to minister in His name. I agreed to come here because of what my heart told me God wanted me to do. It was a clear calling.

I think a lot of people misunderstand what a calling is. All believers receive a calling to come and follow Jesus. Their journeys may vary widely, though. One might live out her calling while caring for people as a nurse. Another might work in a machine shop, or sell cars. The pastor receives a calling to serve God as a leader of His people in a way that is clearly different.

Within me beats a constant reminder that I will be giving an account one day for how I cared for God's treasure - His Church. An individual is responsible for their singular walk, but I carry responsibility for the flock God has entrusted me. I am, if I am following Jesus' example, to lay down my life for the sheep.

A career is something I choose for myself - a calling is something I receive from God.

A career is something I do for myself - A calling is something I do for God.

A career can promise money, status, or power - A calling frequently promises difficulty and even some suffering - but gives the opportunity to be used by God.

A career is about moving on up - A calling leads down "He must increase, I must decrease."

A career may end with retirement - A calling isn't over until the day you die.

A career's rewards may be significant but temporary - A calling's rewards last for eternity.

Pharaoh had a career. Moses, that bumbling, can't talk, who me guy - he had a calling.

A calling is about God using the inadequate to do the impossible.

There are times in the lives of most pastors that it gets difficult to go on. We are not immune from any of the normal rips and tears in the fabric of life. Add to that the "it's like herding cats" aspects of being a pastor, and the stress levels in the house can rise.

It is at those precise moments that God draws near and reminds me of His love overflowing to me. "You are my child. I have set you apart for My purposes." That is a calling, friends. Without it, this would just be another social work job.

With it, I am God's instrument.



I have a calling.

1 comment:

  1. David,

    You have written what I have tried to communicate many times but without success as clearly as you. Excellent description of a pastor's call.

    Les

    ReplyDelete