Saturday, April 29, 2006

With OT Eyes

Let us suggest to you this fundamental hermeneutical principle: Always read the New Testament with Old Testament eyes—or to shift the metaphor, always hear the New Testament with Old Testament ears.

Brian Walsh & Sylvia Keesmaat, “Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire, 2004 p 44


If there has been one thing that has invigorated my study, given depth to my preaching more than anything else in the last year, it would studyufy of the context of the Old Testament. Going to the accounts of people alive at the time, searching the cultural context, and exploring the commentaries of the Jews has so impacted me I cannot begin to tell you.

I'd credit Rob Bell with helping me discover how much it could matter, and Ray Vander Laan with everyday help. I can remember when I first heard Rob talk about a rabbi's "yoke". My first thought was "why didn't I know that?" followed by my second thought, which involved traveling to New Orleans and asking a certain seminary for my money back.

Folks, reading the NT without the OT contextual work is like playing the stereo with one speaker unplugged. You never know what you are missing until you hear both. Dig, dig, dig. You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment