Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Mars Hill After Action Report

Many pastors find that keeping their family spiritually healthy is a real challenge. Yes, I've heard all the deacon and pastor's kids jokes, but remember, behind the laughter are the tears.

This week, my 27 year old son, our oldest, came down to spend a few days before he begins a new job. First, let me tell you that there is no way to explain to you how much my wife and I love him. He was a pure joy to have as a child. The biggest problem we ever had with him growing up was his taking chemistry as a senior in HS because he liked the teacher, and then because it wasn't at all interesting - flunking it. For 18 years of life, that's it.

The first few years of his life were pretty good. I had a good job, we had money, and we spent a lot on him. His brother came along, and we still had a nice life. But when he was 12, I was called into the ministry.

During the next few years, we went from naive to schooled on just what really happens in church. He saw it all. Then when we moved here, because he had friends there and a job, we left him. Broke our hearts, but we were following a call.

Now he's 27, bright, articulate, and completely lost to anything of the faith he embraced and was raised in. So while he was here, Bunny and I tried to get some God into his life. It was maddeningly difficult.

When he left, Bunny cried. Because he left? Yes, but mainly because he is missing.

When I hear one of the churched folks complain about "why don't we sing the old hymns", or "why can't we do things like we used to", I always think of Adam and people like him. One of my goals in the ministry is to help create a church that pastor's kids would be proud to be a part of. So much of the meanness that we pastors let go of seems to stick with our family.

He's home now. I'm here. God please help me help him. God please send others there to help him find his way back to you.

Wonder if Paul felt this way after Mars Hill?

No comments:

Post a Comment