Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Look Again

This past Sunday morning, I talked in the message about an incident Jesus had with a blind man.

They arrived at Bethsaida. Some people brought a sightless man and begged Jesus to give him a healing touch. 23Taking him by the hand, he led him out of the village. He put spit in the man's eyes, laid hands on him, and asked, "Do you see anything?"

24He looked up. "I see men. They look like walking trees." 25So Jesus laid hands on his eyes again. The man looked hard and realized that he had recovered perfect sight, saw everything in bright, twenty-twenty focus. 26Jesus sent him straight home, telling him, "Don't enter the village."

Mark 8 - The Message


What's unique about this passage is that Jesus, who had healed many with one touch, even some merely by His words - even at some distance - Jesus took two touches to heal this blind man.

Or did he?

Jesus was in the middle of a long series of instructional encounters for His disciples. He was trying to help them understand Who He was, why He was here, what the Kingdom of God was all about. But they just weren't getting it. Even after twice feeding thousands of people miraculously, Jesus was frustrated because the first thing the disciples did when they were hungry was gripe.

So I believe Jesus was using the blind man to teach the disciples something.

But what? Where's the clue?


The man looked hard and realized that he had recovered perfect sight, saw everything in bright, twenty-twenty focus.


Look again. When the man did, he realized just what he had received from Jesus.

Friends, I preached the message Sunday and wasn't happy with it. I really felt like I hadn't explained what Jesus was trying to do very well. Even as I laid down for a nap that afternoon, I was still disturbed. So I'm writing this to you today out of the Spirit's compulsion. Before I could go to sleep, I had to write a note to pen this devotional. I got clear direction from God.

It wasn't audible - don't freak out on me. And no 400 foot tall Jesus appeared on the side of the bed.

But as sure as I am that I'm typing this, the Holy Spirit told me "Tell them to look again."

Look again - at how incredibly blessed we are to have a Savior in Jesus who loves us so much he Himself would pay the price for our sins.

Look again - at the fact that even after His sacrifice, His concern was that we be able to stay close to Him, so He sent the Holy Spirit to come alongside us - leading us, guiding us, and yes, comforting us in our fears.

Look again - at just how much God has done for you and me.

It's not that Jesus' power is unable to make a difference in our lives.

It is that we are unwilling to focus exclusively on Him and His will for our lives. When we look at men - at the world - our vision will always be blurred.

But when we focus our heart's attention on Jesus... there is Hope. There is peace. There is JOY!!!!!!!!

Look again.


Grace!

David Wilson
www.newhopevalp.org

No comments:

Post a Comment